Tuesday, March 24, 2009

St Patricks & The 6 Nations

There comes a very special time each year when I'm called upon by my country to show people a little Irish culture, perhaps a jig, or an anecdote but mostly a hearty resistance to submit to both gravity and the physical dimensions of my stomach.
There were only two essential interactions for this day, firstly to meet a good friend and professor here at Dalhousie for lunch, and secondly the early acquisition of some festive brew. I arrived for lunch with John as scheduled however I could not find him on either floor of the University Club and so left a note with the barmaid for him if he showed. From there I went to the girlfriends, where we quickly put the newly acquired martinee shaker and alcohol to work. Several drinks later frenchie showed up with optimistic plans of attending class and later meeting up down town, this was not only blasphemous but also plain silly, she take much persuasion to join us. From here we went to Gills place, quite off schedule but we made it all the same, her boyfriend Joel and his mate Dolyle were already there and so we had afew more drinks before hitting the road. Stopped by Bearlys House of Blues for a game of pool (girls not too impressed with this), and then continued on to the Pogue, which we didnt end up going to and instead found ourselfs at Split Crow ( generic shit band, singing generic shit songs), from here continued on to Maxwells Plums, promptly ordered a beertender (holds roughyl 80 ounces of beer) and fish and chips. Ended the night in typical Halifeax fashion at Pizza corner, where for some reason I decided I needed a big slice of pizza to compliment the fish, chips and beer already distending my stomach, this did not bode well by the time I got to bed. Woke up several times to throw up everything I had paid for earlier that day. Had to work next day, quite unable to coordinate my limbs or thoughts, not pleasant. Also discovered that at some point during the previous days antics I'd managed to smash my camera screen but evidently had kept taking pictures anyway. Also quite ashamed of myself as on reflection I realized that not only had I not stepped foot in an Irish bar throughout the whole day, but instead spent it in two English pubs, disgracefull I know.
While on the topic of Irish festivities I thought I might also shed some light on the recent 6 nations rugby match between Ireland and Wales on the 21st. For those of you that dont know, the 6 nations is an annual rugby tournament between Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England, France and Italy, basically each team play each other, the team with most points at the end of it all are the European Champions, but theres more to it than jsut racking up the most points, beat England, Scotland, and Wales and you win the Triple crown, beat each team and and you win the Grand Slam. Anyhow Ireland havent won tournament in 23 years, and havent managed a grand slam since 1948 thats 61 long years!! So this season we managed ourselves fairly well in each match, except for our 4th match against England ended 13-14 just narrowly beating them (as they say, 13 unlucky for some). So this is the final match of the 6 nations were ahead by 12 points, the favorites to win, and if we can just beat Wales that illusive grand slam victory is ours! Fast forward to Saturday, I figured the Old triangle would be playing the match as they had played it 2 years ago, so I headed down there decked out in my rugby jersey and hat. Bartender told me that they werent showing it this year as it turns out they had been screening it illegally and got a hefty fine. However he said i might be able to catch it up at the Pogue (other Irish pun in halifax) so I headed up there no sign of it being played there either, so I asked the barmaid what she knew about it and this is what she said

"eh no were not showing it here................well thats what im supposed to tell you but go downstairs and have a word with Micheal"

So turns out the fine wouldnt stop them screening it illegally after all, the owners of both pubs had decided to put on a small private showing in the basement of the Pogue. Brilliant atmosphere, about 15 of us all straight from Ireland gathered together to watch out great nation attempt history. The Guinness was flowing and there was planty of banter.
Back to the game, uneventfull first half, both teams are strong, hungry for victory and not letting up, Wales manage to pull ahead by 6 points by half time. Ireland managed to find their footing in the opening minutes of the second half (much like the scotland game) with Tommy Boe and Brian O Driscoll both scoring tries. But Stephen Jones of Wales seemed to have sealed both the match and the triple crown for Wales with drop-goals and only 5 minutes remaining. O Gara replied minutes later with a drop-goal for Ireland, surely this had sealed the game for Ireland now ahead by 2 points and only seconds left. But Wales were awarded a penalty (worth 3 points) from just inside the Irish half, if Jones could make this kick Wales would pull ahead by a point and deny Ireland the Grand Slam, literally the last kick of the ball would decide the faith of both teams. Jones efforts fell short however and Ireland could finally taste the champagne of the Grand Slam victory!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment